Explain Title

Visit www.rebeccaglancy.com to read the full-length essay "A Day at the Park."

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A Stay-at-Home Mom Goes Back to Work

Today my son graduated from kindergarten.  Now he will have the whole summer off before school resumes in the fall.  For me, it’s back to work.  I have stayed home with my kids since my son was born, but this year my kids hardly stayed home with me.  My son was in school five days a week, and my four-year-old daughter was in preschool three days a week from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.  I’ve been basically out of a job since last September.  But beginning next week, my son will be home with me every day, except for two weeks of summer camp.  I will be a full-time mom again.

It will just be my son and me most days this summer.  My daughter will still go to preschool, which continues year-round.  My son and I haven’t spent whole days alone together since he was a baby.  I expect we will do all the same things we did then—get groceries, go the park, go the library.  This year he can sign up for summer reading.  The theme is “One World, Many Stories.”  My summer project is this blog.

Summer reading, basketball, and riding bikes will fill my time.  The housework will suffer; the laundry will pile up.  We’ll eat out more often.  Tomorrow I go to work.

1 comment:

  1. Let the housework suffer! Let the laundry pile up! Just enjoy your sweet summer of work. (Love the picture on your blog, too.)

    ReplyDelete