Explain Title

Visit www.rebeccaglancy.com to read the full-length essay "A Day at the Park."

Friday, August 12, 2011

Going Back

Today is the very last day of my son’s summer vacation.  On Monday he goes back to school.  Here at home, my life goes back to normal.

In fact, it will take me a week to get things back to normal.  At the top of my “to-do” list is clean the house:  wash down walls, vacuum along the baseboards, dust light fixtures, scrub the grout in the shower, de-grease the hood over the stove.  I’ve actually deliberately been accumulating dirt and mess so that my thorough housecleaning will be even more satisfactory.  For example, somebody left chocolate pudding fingerprints on the bathroom wall this week.  I haven’t washed them off yet.  I’ll do it next week, when everything gets put to rights.

I’ve also begun revolving in my head my next writing project.  All my ideas seem so brilliant, so inspired.  It will take me several days of reviewing old notes and brainstorming through some new ideas to settle down to something.  It will be another week at least before I really get to work.  It will take my son a few weeks to settle back into his routine, too. 

Like the school building that stood empty in June and July, my “normal” life has stood, uninhabited these last months, waiting for me to move back in.  I’m ready to go back.

1 comment:

  1. Greetings from Greencastle, Indiana! It was such fun to have Ruby strapped into the seatbelt next to me. You can check my blog for her picture. I love the idea of leaving the house dirty on purpose to make cleaning more satisfying! I'll await word of your new writing project, big fan of you that I am. The church here is nice - but feels different, of course - order of worship is different - they don't have The Faith We Sing - they do have stained glass windows - next Sunday they're having a back-to-school "blessing of the backpacks" which sounds nice to me.

    ReplyDelete